Current:Home > FinanceOlivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Score a Legal Victory in Nanny's Lawsuit -WealthRoots Academy
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Score a Legal Victory in Nanny's Lawsuit
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 21:52:33
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis will not be going to trial with their former nanny.
A Los Angeles judge has ruled that a wrongful termination lawsuit filed by Ericka Genaro—who worked for the former couple between 2018 and 2021—be resolved in out-of-court arbitration, according to court documents obtained by E! News.
"We don't agree with the decision, but it is what it is and now we'll litigate it in arbitration and the case goes on," Ron Zambrano, Genero' attorney and partner and Employment Litigation Chair at West Coast Employment Lawyers, told E! News in a statement Aug. 16. "This does not terminate the lawsuit. It merely changes the venue."
Zambrano continued, "As to the underlying facts, we've got text messages and testimony that she was driven to quit, then was summarily fired anyway. We feel extremely confident in the case so instead of taking this to trial, we'll handle it in arbitration and we're ready to move forward."
Genaro is seeking punitive damages—including loss of earnings, deferred compensation and other employment benefits—from Wilde and Sudeikis after allegedly taking on an increased parenting role to their kids Otis, 9, and Daisy, 6, when the Don't Worry Darling director left the family home in 2020.
In court documents previously obtained by E! News, Genaro's legal team alleged the pressure of "not only being the primary caretaker of the children, but also filling in Wilde's absence for the children became debilitating" for their client.
Genaro's "anxiety and stress did not get any better" when news of Wilde and Sudeikis' breakup made headlines, according to her lawsuit, and she eventually had to seek therapy. Her lawsuit alleged that she was fired by Sudeikis on the spot when she approached the Ted Lasso star about taking a three-day break at the advice of medical professionals.
When reached by E! News for comment on the upcoming arbitration, a rep for Wilde and Sudeikis said, "The lawsuit has been fully dismissed. Both Olivia and Jason are hopeful they can finally close this chapter after what has not only been a selfish grab for financial gain, but a shameless exploitation of their trust played out in the media."
In response, Zambrano told E! News, "While the plaintiff's substantive rights and claims in the complaint remain unscathed and will be litigated in New York, the defendants are obviously free to relish in a win on a procedural front but that doesn't mean the lawsuit is moot or over. We're now just going to argue our case in arbitration rather than before a jury in Los Angeles."
Zambrano added, "Perhaps most attractive to Ms. Wilde and Mr. Sudeikis is that the evidence is now shielded from public view. But once we read the judge's full decision, which is still pending, we believe there will be grounds for appeal."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (81)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Charles Barkley says WNBA players are being 'petty' over attention paid to Caitlin Clark
- Chris Hemsworth went shockingly 'all in' as a villain in his new 'Mad Max' film 'Furiosa'
- Inter Miami beats out Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series champs for sports business award
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Celine Dion Shares She Nearly Died Amid Battle With Stiff-Person Syndrome
- Paul Skenes dominated the Giants softly. But he can't single-handedly cure Pirates.
- Cavaliers fire head coach J.B. Bickerstaff following consecutive playoff appearances
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Arizona doctors can come to California to perform abortions under new law signed by Gov. Newsom
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- New Zealand man filmed trying to body slam killer whale in shocking and stupid incident
- Little or no experience? You're hired! Why companies now opt for skills over experience
- Big 12 paid former commissioner Bob Bowlsby $17.2 million in his final year
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Celine Dion gets candid about 'struggle' with stiff person syndrome in new doc: Watch
- Chris Hemsworth went shockingly 'all in' as a villain in his new 'Mad Max' film 'Furiosa'
- New to US: Hornets that butcher bees and sting people. Humans are fighting back.
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Activist Rev. Al Sharpton issues stark warning to the FTC about two gambling giants
When does the College World Series start? Top teams set their sights on Omaha
5 things to know about Memorial Day, including its evolution and controversies
Sam Taylor
NFL legend Warrick Dunn's housing program changes lives of single parents
Norfolk Southern agrees to $310 million settlement in Ohio train derailment and spill
How Jada Pinkett Smith Is Supporting Husband Will Smith 7 Months After Separation Revelation